Get Your Accounting Degree Now
AccountingDegree101.com provides you everything you need for an Accounting Degree in order to jump start your education in Accounting. We provide you only the Top Accounting Schools to select from and for those who are still unsure on which Accounting Degree you should pursue, we have provided a wide range of articles to ease your search for any accounting related degree because we have it all here !
For those who prefer to plan ahead of time, we have information on accounting careers for you after you have completed your accounting course.
Our Top Accounting Degree Universities for 2012
|University of Phoenix – Associate’s & Bachelor’s Accounting Degrees.
University of Phoenix has 20 years of experience in online education. University of Phoenix uses a dynamic curriculum to enhance each students accounting education with an interactive learning enviornment which makes it our 3rd Most Recommended Accounting Universities.
|Post University – Certificate, Associate’s & Bachelor’s Accounting Degrees.
Post University provides one of the best accounting degrees in the country. They are an accredited institution which provides a well-recognized accounting qualification to their students. For that it deservers to be in one of our Top 4 Recommended Accounting Universities.
|Grand Canyon University – Bachelor’s, MBA & M.S in Accounting.
Their Accounting degrees are customized for accounting students who need a more flexible class schedule. Grand Canyon University also provides one of the best student support both on and off campus which makes this our 4th Top Recommended Accounting Universities.
Kaplan University – Associate’s, Bachelor’s & Master’s Accounting Degrees.
Long trusted as one of the leading names in the education world, Kaplan is one of the best online schools in our list providing accredited accounting programs.
In the accounting and finance industry, there are many jobs related to dealing with numbers. Beginning from the entry-level positions such as budget assistant, bookkeeper, and cost and accounting clerk to various senior positions such as account manager, chief accountant, financial analyst, chief financial officer and budget directors, there is really no limit to the types of positions which can be occupied if you have an accounting degree.
The Importance of an Accounting Degree
As many activities in a small or large organization require the knowledge of accounting, your services will always be required if you have an accounting degree, and even if you find yourself out of job, you will definitely get another one within a short time. This is a very good thing with having an accounting degree.
No organization can ever succeed without the presence of an accountant; the accountant is the person responsible for recording financial transactions and the preparation of financial statements. As an accountant, you are responsible for carrying out cost analysis like comparing the cost of a technology or project to determine the benefits to be derived in terms of financial gains.
You will be consulted when your employer wants to take important steps, for instance, during mergers and acquisitions; during such events, you will be expected to analyze the situation and give an opinion based on the financial records of the companies involved. You will also help in the development of IT programs to help in monitoring and managing packages related to employee benefits, financial results and tax avoidance. The information provided by you in this case will be used in developing the future financial activities of the organization. Therefore, it is necessary to have an accounting degree.
Types of Accounting Degrees
There are different types degrees in accounting, and the one that you go for would depend on your current level of education and experience. The popular types of accounting degrees that you may consider are:
1. Certificate in Accounting: For most people, this is the place from which to start because there are few requirements for getting involved in the study leading to the award of the certificate. You may consider studying for the award of a certificate as an accounting technician or even as a bookkeeper. The major requirement is to have post-secondary education of at least one year.
2. Associates Degree in Accounting: This degree may be considered after completing your high school education, and the good thing with this is that it prepares you for further education in the accounting field. A 2-year study is required to get this degree.
3. Bachelors Degree in Accounting: This is the next accounting degree that follows after acquiring your associate degree. In most cases, you would have your bachelor’s degree after 2 years if you already have the associate’s degree; but if you do not have it, a minimum of four years needs to be spent, and of course with evidence of having high school education.
4. Masters Degree in Accounting: After finishing your bachelor’s degree, the next accounting degree that you may consider taking is the master’s degree. The good thing about it is that it opens doors of opportunities for you in many high-paying organizations. This is in addition to the prestige.
5. Doctorate in Accounting: You need a lot of years of experience before being awarded a PhD in accounting. Many hours needs to be spent doing research, writing articles and giving seminars related to the accounting profession. It is usually not required for employment in private organizations, but will always be needed if you want to teach in college.
How to Get Your Accounting Degree
There are two major ways of getting an accounting degree. The first one is to go through the old method, which means to attend a college in your local community. This is clearly a very good idea of attending college, but the problem with it is that you need to dedicate time to attend the classes, and it is for this reason that another method was developed.
The internet gives you a very good and easy way of getting an accounting degree. To get an accounting degree online, you only need to look for good online accounting schools, and there are many of them out there. You will attend all your classes online from the comfort of your home, and you do not need to resign from your job. In the early days of getting accounting degree online, the cost was high, but things have changed – now cheaper and scholarships are even made available today by many colleges.